I collect old cook books. I absolutley love them. My favorites are the ones from Better Homes and Gardens from the 60's and 70's. I went antique shopping a couple of weeks ago and found some "new" books. This one is Favorite Ways with Chicken (Turkey, Duck and Game Birds). It was published in 1967. This recipe is one of the reasons I absolutely love these books. It is called jellied turkey salad. As if that doesn't sound icky enough, if you look at the picture, you will notice that the turkey seems to be suspended in a jello-like substance. That is because it is!!! The recipe calls for 2 pkgs of unflavored gelatin and 2 cans of condensed consomme with gelatin added. What cracks me up even more is the fact that it calls this "A glamorous make-ahead salad for easy luncheon entertaining". If I was served at a luncheon, I would be entertained alright-it would be a fun game to guess who would be the first person to gag while eating this! I certainly would not be brave enough to try it. Did they really think this was glamorous back then? Wednesday, March 17, 2010
Jellied Turkey Salad
I collect old cook books. I absolutley love them. My favorites are the ones from Better Homes and Gardens from the 60's and 70's. I went antique shopping a couple of weeks ago and found some "new" books. This one is Favorite Ways with Chicken (Turkey, Duck and Game Birds). It was published in 1967. This recipe is one of the reasons I absolutely love these books. It is called jellied turkey salad. As if that doesn't sound icky enough, if you look at the picture, you will notice that the turkey seems to be suspended in a jello-like substance. That is because it is!!! The recipe calls for 2 pkgs of unflavored gelatin and 2 cans of condensed consomme with gelatin added. What cracks me up even more is the fact that it calls this "A glamorous make-ahead salad for easy luncheon entertaining". If I was served at a luncheon, I would be entertained alright-it would be a fun game to guess who would be the first person to gag while eating this! I certainly would not be brave enough to try it. Did they really think this was glamorous back then?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment