Wednesday, February 4, 2009

I've got the baby bug!!!

Yes, you read that right! I have the baby bug! I want another baby. I thought it would go away but it isn't. (Except for a few days when i was sick.) I have been feeling this way for probably a couple of months. I have the baby bug a LOT worse than i had it when we decided to try for Austin. I would love to have a little girl, -love,love, love to have one- but i would be just as happy with another little boy.

I want to snuggle with a baby again and hold one and give it lots of kisses. I want to be able to enjoy a baby since i DID NOT enjoy Austin when he was tiny. Hold your horses though! This does not mean we are trying for one or that we are even going to try for one. I am realistic and there are a lot more cons than pros to having another baby.

First, we have practically no help. We raise our kid by OURSELVES. We don't get many offers either and we have spent only one weekend away from Austin since he was born. We miss just going on a short trip for the weekend. We miss going out to eat as we aren't able to do this very often anymore. It is almost impossible to take Austin out to eat with us. We miss our alone time as a couple. So i would imagine a new kiddo added to the mix would not help!

Second, I am afraid I would swell up and have blood pressure problems during pregnancy again. Not fun. I was on bed rest for the last couple weeks with Austin. I don't know how I would take care of Austin if that happened again. And what if it was worse this time around?

Third, I don't function well with a lack of sleep and I can't take naps. This would not work well for the first few months of having a new baby. and there is no guarantee that the next baby would be as good a sleeper as Austin is. This is a biggie. I just now am feeling like I have my energy back after Austin. nearly 2 years later and he has been sleeping all night since he was 4 1/2 months old. All that crying literally wore me out! Mind, body and soul.

Fourth, there is no guarantee that my next baby would be snuggly. That would break my heart.

Fifth, what if we have another colicky baby??? I know the chances of this are small but if that happend, it would not be good for our sanity or our marriage.

Sixth, i won't be able to drink alcohol for a WHILE. And yes, I do like to drink. I love my rum and coke, red wine, margaritas, and beer. No, i'm not an alcholic by any means but I do like to drink.

Seventh, I finally have my body back to where I like it. I don't want to work that hard to get back into shape. Bed rest does a number on ya, let me tell ya!

We finally feel like this year we have a little freedom and will be able to get out and do a few things like going camping and taking Austin to the zoo. We feel like if we had another kiddo, we would be trapped for another couple of years and we don't want to be trapped anymore!!!

The pro's are that Austin would have a sibling. We would have another member of the family to love and i would hopefully get a lot of snuggle time. And, now that Austin has gotten rid of a lot of his fussiness, he is a LOT of fun! It would also be a lot of fun to see how he would interact with a baby.

I feel like this year is the year. We will either have another kid or it won't happen at all. I don't want kids too far apart and if i got pregnant this year, that would put them about 3 years apart which is a good gap i think.

I feel like we are being selfish with most of our reasons NOT to have another one because it would only rough probably that first year but having to go through it again...no one knows what we REALLY went through with Austin and the possibility of having to go through a rough first year again is enough to keep us from having one.

So, I don't know what we will do. Chris says absolutely no and for all practical reasons he is right. But i guess we will see how bad the baby bug takes a hold of me! I know that if we don't have another one I will always wonder what we would have had and what that baby would have been like.

No comments: